Please select Menu Source

Partner Visa Lawyers Sydney

Immigration law has its own complications and often it can be a difficult process when it comes to family reunion. In Sydney a partner visa lawyer is similar to a ‘family maker’ who is professionally involved in the partner visa application process in Australia. The first thing that has to be pointed out is the fact that their experience and the fact they have worked as immigration professionals for years are what will make it possible for you and your spouse to apply for the right visa and the process to go without a hitch and will not be stressful at all.

What Are the Different Types of Partner Visas Available in Australia?

Australia has visas for partners which are specifically tailored taking into account the fact that relationship developments are made through various stages and events. Out of all the available options, the 309 partner visa Australia seems to be the most suitable one for those couples who desire to spend time in Australia on a temporary visa basis before becoming permanent residents. It is not an easy task to choose from many eligible visas, and the guidance of an experienced lawyer is highly recommended to take a well-worth decision among the most appropriate visas for your particular case with full understanding of all necessary information.

Partner (Provisional) visa (Subclass 309)

The partner (provisional) visa (subclass 309 visa) is the visa category that is devoted to the people being in de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. The visa subclass 309 is a way for the partner to join the partner migrant for the time of the migration validity and then becomes a permanent resident by issuing the Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100).

Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)

The next step for those who have been granted the subclass 309 visa and have held the subclass 309 visa for a couple of years is Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) The visa is a permanent one which in turn permits the partner to remain in Australia for an indefinite period, as long as the relationship is still intact and meets all the basic requirements.

Partner (Temporary) visa (Subclass 820)

Australia temporary partner visa (subclass 820) is suitable for people who are in a recognized relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen and are already in Australia. This temporary partner visa category of visa is intended to allow them to stay in Australia while their application for the permanent Partner visa.

Partner (Permanent) visa (subclass 801)

For those who have previously arrived in Australia and have obtained the Partner (Temporary) visa (subclass 820), the next step is the Partner (Permanent) visa (subclass 801). It offers the freedom to work and study as well as permanent residency, where the assurance of a lifelong stay is provided.

Prospective Marriage visa (Subclass 300)

Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300), which is for the partners of the Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens, who are located overseas and are engaged, is the one that is being dealt with here. Thus, it gives you an opportunity to come to Australia and marry your partner.

Free Consultation
Free 15-minute consultation with our experienced lawyers. Give your visa application the best chance of success by contacting us for our advice.

Who is Eligible for a Partner Visa?

The application for an Australian partner visa is based on a number of mandatory factors that determine the suitability of the applicant and his or her Australian partner depending on the nature of their relationship. The following is a summary of the primary qualifying criteria:

Genuine Relationship

In order for the community to approve an application as a pair, they must present documentation proving they live together, pay all utility bills jointly, have joint property, co-own a bank account, and attend social activities as a pair.

Sponsorship by a Partner

The Australian partner sponsors the visa applicant who applies for a visa in Australia. The sponsorship is a process of accepting the legal obligations involving any possible debts to the government of Australia that the applicant can incur. The sponsor is required to present documentation proving their status as a New Zealand citizen, their permanent presence in Australia, or both.

Health and Character Requirements

All candidates to be subject all candidates to medical examination also include check-ups of dependents in health assessment. Applicants will also need to be furnished with police certificates from every country of their residence of more than 12 months over the last 10 years before the current time. Henceforth such certificates will serve as the basis for confirming applicant's good morals.

De Facto or Marriage Relationship

The people who would like to lodge a de facto application must demonstrate that their relationship lasted for at least 12 months to the satisfaction of the department. For instance, the evidence can consist of joint rental agreements or property mortgage, division of responsibilities and a strong commitment to stay together.

Prospective Marriage

People who want to get a Prospective Marriage visa need to prove their commitment to marriage and to provide their wedding plans and evidence that they have met in person if the relationship began online. This visa is the first stage of spouse visa Australia immigration pathway. It allows the visa holder to hold marriage event in Australia with their partner. Following the marriage, they can submit the application for the Partner (Temporary) visa (Subclass 820) but then this will be a basis for the Permanent (Subclass 801) visas.

How Do You Apply for a Partner Visa in Australia?

The Australian partner visa application procedure is complex and demands meticulous attention to detail. The steps can be navigated as follows:

Consultation and Engagement:

Start by arranging a meeting with the immigration lawyer who has expertise in this field, and they will give you customized assistance. They will perform an evaluation of your case and the complexities of the process, and they will acquaint you with the process. Upon the completion of the meeting, they will promptly send you an engagement letter or an agreement detailing the terms and conditions of your legal representation, so that all parties involved have a firm grasp on the commitment.

Preparation and Support:

International marriage requires your lawyer to prepare a set of documents and to collect strong evidence that confirms your relationship. These proofs may include joint bank account statements, shared lease or mortgage documents, and personal statements from friends and family. This preparation stage is an essential element of the whole procedure, because the quality of application can provide a basis for a fair consideration.

Submission and Communication:

This is the stage where you and your attorney file your application with the Australian Department of Home Affairs. They will review your paperwork and make sure it complies with all applicable laws and regulations. The lawyer will be working closely with the department and maintaining communication with you during this waiting period, which may be longer, and will give additional information.

Representation and Success:

You may, for instance, be required to provide additional information or submit to an interview by the Department of Home Affairs. And if so, your lawyer will prepare you for this and represent you if the need arises. They’re the one who is there for you, and they are the ones who bring out the best in you so that they can better present you to the college. They will advise you on the outcome of the decision and would review the details to guide you on the best choice, may it be an appeal or new application.

What Documents Are Essential for a Partner Visa Application?

In the process of preparing a partner visa application, it is essential to collect a complete set of documents that will help to stand your case. The first step will be the proof of your identity:

Valid Passport

Your passport is the your identity verification, that is internationally recognized.

Birth Certificate

This official document is a testament to your identity from the onset of life.

Legal Name Change Document

Should there be any alterations to your name, legal documentation is required

Shared Lease Agreements

These contracts are tangible proof of your joint financial commitments and cohabitation.

Utility Bills

Regular household bills in both names further validate your shared residence.

Photographic Evidence

A chronological array of photographs that illustrate the evolution of your relationship.

Need Help?

Got an issue you want to talk to a legal professional about? Get a free consultation.

*Free consultation is limited to 15 minute phone call for us to give preliminary advice

Your Australian partner who is the one sponsoring your visa must submit as well his/her identification document, such as a passport or a citizenship certificate, as proof that he/she is legally an Australian resident.

This step is a must whether you are going to apply for a regional visa for a partner or not. Furthermore, you must qualify for:

  • Police Clearance Certificates: Required from every country where you have resided for more than twelve months in the last decade.
  • Medical Examinations: These may be necessary to fulfil Australian immigration health standards.

These constraints guarantee that all the requirements for coming to and staying in Australia under the partner visa program are followed.

Financial evidence will be a vital component of your application for a subclass 309/100 partner visa, whereby you will present the evidence of financial commitments that you share together.

  • Joint Bank Account Statements: These reflect your shared financial responsibilities and commitments.
  • Insurance Policies: Documents bearing both names, indicating mutual financial protection.
  • Receipts for Significant Joint Purchases: Evidence of major financial decisions made together, indicative of a shared life.

Such document is the part of the partnership story that shows the depth and humanity of your co-operation. While there are many factors that determine the processing times of the Australian partner visa offshore, such as the unique situations of different applicants and the fluctuations of the department of home affairs, it is important to read the latest guidelines from the Department of Home Affairs or seek advice from an Australian partner visa lawyer. Such will make sure that your application documents are complete, without any errors that might be due to lack of proper knowledge on current regulations and requirements.

Why Should You Choose Us as your Lawyer for Partner Visa?

Securing a partner visa can be a complex affair, fraught with legal nuances and procedural intricacies. Here’s why engaging a lawyer can be beneficial: A lawyer with expertise in partner visas is a person who can offer huge knowledge and experience, as well as ability to negotiate the legal labyrinths. They’re experts on the current immigration legislations and policies, which are often updated in a rather short period of time with little or no prior notice. They possess a wealth of knowledge which enables them to predict potential challenges in advance and modify your immigration application to ensure it complies with the necessary standards.
In addition, a lawyer provides peace of mind which is particularly important for the applicants in the overseas countries. They get rid of all the paperwork, and they put the responsibility of making sure every single form is completed and all required documents are attached on themselves. They are the ones who must try their best to present your case as solid as possible, which means your application should be strong enough and also be able to withstand any kind of scrutiny so that you can increase your chance to win the case.

In this regards, if it comes to any complication such as the need for more detailed information or a decision to decline and application for a provisional visa to a partner, our Immigration lawyer is very helpful. They are not only there when you need them, but they will also stand for you in the Department of Home Affairs. If and when you need it, they can be of assistance, particularly with the partner visa Australia 309, and they can lead you through the appeals process, drawing on their knowledge to strengthen your case. The case they make is very convincing. If reapplication is ever needed for subclass visa 100 from a provisional one, they are indeed an invaluable source of advice. Basically, a lawyer becomes more than a mere facilitator, stepping into the role of a staunch advocate who is the voice of your rights and who formulates your arguments in a way that demonstrates the strength of your case.

Free Consultation
Free 15-minute consultation with our experienced lawyers. Give your visa application the best chance of success by contacting us for our advice.

What Should You Do if Your Partner Visa is Refused or Cancelled?

If you face the setback of a partner visa refusal or cancellation, it’s important to stay calm and act promptly: Firstly, determine why you are making the change. The Department of Home Affairs will state the particular reason for the visa rejection or cancellation. Go through this feedback to point out the parts of your application that were not well-crafted or may have raised some concerns.
Next, seek professional advice. A lawyer who is a partner visas expert would be able to explain to you the best possible courses of action that you have. They can help you work on and correct the reasons as listed in the refusal letter and also enable you to make a strong case for reconsideration or reapplying. Think about the benefits of reviewing an appeal, especially if you are moving in the area of a subclass 309 visa Australia decision which didn’t favour you. If though you believe that the decision was wrong, the AAT (Administrative Appeals Tribunal) appeals may be an appropriate move for you. If you are applying for a partner visa under the subclass 300 category, an experienced lawyer who has a good understanding of the detailed workings of this visa category and others will help you to go through the process. They are the ones who will be your voice in the tribunal hearings; through their experience and knowledge they will bring all the necessary points to your case to have a good ending.
If your lawyer suggests to reapply, a 300 visa processing time may be a good reason too. In this regard, your lawyer will be the key figure in reinforcing your new application. They’ll be responsible for filling up any gaps in the first time submitted documents and will work with you to gather more evidence or explain things that weren’t clear enough to meet the strict visa requirements. Time becomes an important factor especially in the circumstances where there is a tight schedule of submissions of appeals and applications for reconsideration. Timely and knowledgeable decisions, under the category of your lawyer’s proficiency, are a key factor in your success story of visa application.

How Do You Prove a De Facto Relationship for Visa Purposes?

For partner visa application you will have to provide Home Affairs Department with verifiable evidence that you do have a valid committed relationship with your partner. Such evidence, for instance, getting a partner visa in Australia, is the evidence of the first stirrings of love between you. It cannot be partial but should also include the crucial issues of financial responsibilities, which is a must when you plan to visit Australia on a marriage visa.

Moreover, having a shared household, with how you live together and take care of your daily chores, reveals your level of commitment and dynamics of the relationship. Social issues such as how you’re seen as a couple in the community and the form of your commitment to each other are also included in your application and may be of great importance when you apply for the 801 visa category in Australia, accentuating the solidarity and sincerity of your relationship.
Financial evidence is the key part of the documented application and such documents include joint bank statements, common lease agreements or mortgage documents as well as utility bills with both names. This financial documentation not only proves the common financial responsibility to apply for 801 partner visa, but also illustrates a persistent connection between the partners by showing a tangible bond.

Details such as how chores are divided and the way you work together in daily tasks show a real teamwork. Therefore, awareness of the transition process from the 801 visa to permanent residency status and planning for the future in Australia is also important, ensuring that you know your rights and responsibilities from the beginning. Social validation of your relationship may be shown by people stating their opinion for the relationship, joint invitations, and photographs, souvenirs and other evidence of shared travels. In conclusion, the dedication may be displayed through the use of the length of a relationship, their letters, the terms of the will and their plans of the future.

Every detail brings together a larger story that explains how you two have been together. Immigration officials make use of this collection of evidence as a criterion, to determine if your relationship is genuine and not just a temporary one. It is important to give a detailed and thorough presentation of your partnership to show you qualify for a partner visa.

FAQs on Partner Visa Law

The time taken for processing a partner visa can vary considerably, but typically, the applicants will need to allow for about 15 to 22 months. One should bear in mind that majority of the application factors affect the application processing time.
Yes, of course you can sponsor your partner to Australia if you haven’t yet married. The main thing for verification is to show that you are in a de facto relationship which means you’ve lived together for at least 12 months or you intend to get married within 9 months for a Prospective Marriage visa.
In case your partner has Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300), he is permitted to enter and stay in Australia to marry his prospective wife. This visa allows your fiancé to stay in Australia for the purpose of marrying you.
To apply for a partner visa, you need to be an Australia citizen or a permanent resident or an eligible Resident New Zealander. Firstly, you have to demonstrate that this relationship is not just a marriage of convenience but a genuine and long-lasting one, which is done by presenting conclusive proof of your devotion and intertwined life.
Establishing 12 months relationship requirement is by providing evidence of a relationship that is committed and exclusive to your partner for a period not less than one year before you apply. Such evidence could include joint bank accounts, living together, a fellowship status, and any other proof that confirms the relationship’s longevity.
The partner visa fee is currently at AUD 8,850 for the main applicant. The dependent fee will be higher if you are including the dependents in the application. Therefore, it is pivotal to set aside the expenses for each dependent as the fees may be expensive and could be more than what you are expecting.
Indeed, your dependent children can be added to your partner visa process. They have to provide proof of health requirements for their visa as well as other evidence to prove their dependency.
To start with, an applicant is issued a temporary partner visa. It is possible to move to a permanent residency after a certain period of time, provided that the relationship remains sincere and not fictional. It usually takes place after the regular two-year cover assessment.

Our Partner Visa Lawyers Reviews

Our Happy Clients

Patrick Chiu
Patrick Chiu
I am incredibly grateful for the outstanding service provided during my recent property purchase. From the initial consultation to the final closing, the team's professionalism and expertise were exceptional.
Macy Li
Macy Li
Tina at CMI Legal is very professional and technical. Great service. Highly recommend to everyone!
Michael Glenn
Michael Glenn
Rita and John settled the matter expeditiously and according to my instructions. I appreciate their clear communication diligence!
Jeena J
Jeena J
Tina has been an absolute gem in assisting us with our journey to find our first home. As newcomers to the property market, the myriad of processes and legal documents left us feeling overwhelmed. However, Tina's unwavering support and guidance made it a breeze for us. Her meticulous attention to detail proved invaluable in identifying potential risks and swiftly addressing them on our behalf. We wholeheartedly recommend her services, particularly if you're seeking someone you can place your utmost trust in. She is a true professional who goes above and beyond to ensure a seamless experience.
Recently, because of selling a house, I got to know Ms. Tina from this law firm through a friend's introduction. A very cute and beautiful girl who can speak English Mandarin and Cantonese fluently. In the whole process of selling a house, the business is quite professional and skilled, explaining the clauses in the contract that the customer does not understand, and actively avoiding the unfavorable treaties for the customer. So the whole transaction went very smoothly, and all the house payments have been received today. Thanks to this beautiful lawyer in this law firm.
Diana Farrera
Diana Farrera
We've dealt with many solicitors for our company and definitely CMI provides a really good service and looks after the clients effectively. Thank you to Rita & team.
Gwen Lau
Gwen Lau
I have been a client of Tina Tang solicitor CMI Legal Pty Ltd I can recommend her to do her job 110% her attention to detail informing clients of legal jargon in contracts simplifying the language is phenomenal. Tina replies to phone calls, texts, emails immediately her professionalism is outstanding, in her respect tone of voice and getting the job done with all the relevant documents to protect you as a client. Her protection of you as a client arming you with information in the legal world is something i never ever found in other solicitors I engaged over the years. I can recommend her legal services to anyone and if you decide to hire her you can only benefit
Ray Vella
Ray Vella
I needed legal advice on Copyright issues and spoke to John in CMI Legal. I found John to be very patient and genuinely wanted to help. He took an interest in my concerns and was very clear and thorough with his explanations of the legal aspects. He also went the extra mile to research any grey areas and promptly got back to us to confirm his findings. I am very grateful for the help from John and as a result of our consultation I have learnt the general rules of intellectual property copyright issues. I would not hesitate to seek John’s help if needed in the future and would highly recommend CMI Legal’s services to others.
We answer all your immigration questions

Our expert partner visa lawyers are here to answer all your questions and queries related to immigration and partner visa law.

Got an issue you want to chat to a Legal Professional?

*Free consultation is limited to 15 minute phone call for us to give preliminary advice